Paul Barnes joined the Department of Biological Sciences in 2004. Dr. Barnes' research examines the functional ecology of plants and global change biology. Specific research topics include physiological plant ecology; grassland & savanna ecology; plant & ecosystem responses to global environmental change; environmental UV photobiology; mechanisms of plant-plant interactions; and plant carbon, water and light relations.
- Barnes, P.W., T.M. Robson, M.A. Tobler, I.N. Bottger and S.D. Flint. 2017. Plant responses to fluctuating UV environments. In: B.R. Jordan (ed.), The role of UV-B radiation in plant growth and development. CABI Press, Oxford, UK (In Press)
- Barnes, P.W., S.D. Flint, M.A. Tobler, and R.J. Ryel. 2016. Diurnal adjustment in UV-sunscreen protection is widespread among higher plants. Oecologia 181:55-63. DOI: 10.1007/s00442-016-3558-9
- Andrady, A.L., P.J. Aucamp, A. Austin, A.F. Bais, C.L. Ballaré, P.W. Barnes, G.H. Bernhard, L.O. Björn, J.F. Bornman, D.J. Erickson et al., United Nations Environment Programme. Environmental Effects Assessment Panel. 2016. Environmental effects of ozone depletion and its interactions with climate change: Progress report, 2015. Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences DOI: 10.1039/c6pp90004f.
- Barnes, P.W., M.A. Tobler, K.M. Keefover-Ring, S.D. Flint, A.E. Barkley R.J. Ryel, and R.L. Lindroth. 2016. Rapid modulation of UV-shielding in plants is influenced by solar UV radiation and linked to alterations in flavonoids. Plant, Cell and Environment 39: 222-230. DOI: 10.1111/pce.12609
- Andrady, A.L., P.J. Aucamp, A. Austin, A.F. Bais, C.L. Ballaré, P.W. Barnes, G.H. Bernhard, J.F. Bornman, M.M. Caldwell and 34 additional authors. 2015. Environmental effects of ozone depletion and its interactions with climate change: 2014 assessment. Executive Summary. Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences 14(1): 14-18. DOI: 10.1039/c4pp90042a.
Ph.D., University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1984; M.S., University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1980; B.A., Augustana College, 1978
- Ecology and Evolution
- Plant Ecology
- Global Ecology
Areas of Expertise
Ecology, Evolution, Conservation, Botany, Environmental Science