Lynn Vogel Koplitz has been a faculty member at Loyola since 1988. In 2008, she was named the Earl and Gertrude Vicknair Distinguished Professor of Chemistry. She received the university’s highest honor for faculty, the Dux Academicus Award for excellence in teaching, scholarship and community service, in 2006. From 2004 until 2006, she served as the fourth Director of the University Honors Program. She shared the distinction of Honors Professor of the Year with Dr. Robert Gnuse in 2005 and was also chosen to receive the University Senate Community Service Award that same year. In 2007, 2009, and 2013 Koplitz was honored with a Marquette Faculty Fellowship. She became chairperson of the Department of Chemistry in 2013.
Before coming to Loyola, she was a visiting professor at Pomona College and UCLA where she taught general as well as physical chemistry and upper-level labs. She earned a Ph.D. in physical chemistry with Don McClure at Princeton University in 1986. Muhlenberg College, her undergraduate alma mater, awarded her summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors.
Currently, Dr. Koplitz and her students are using experimental and computational methods to investigate the effects of non-covalent interactions on the properties of crystals.
- “Two red salts derived from yellow 4-cyano-1-methyl iodide: 1,1',1"-trimethyl-4,4',4"-(1,3,5-triazin-2,4,6-triyl)tripyridinium trisiodide and 4-cyano-1-methyl triiodide,” Vu. D. Nguyen*, Cameron A. McCormick*, Francesca A. Vaccaro*, Clifton J. Stephenson, Kevin E. Riley, Joel T. Mague, Lynn V. Koplitz, ACCEPTED Polyhedron 2/23/2016 (INVITED). doi:10.1016/j.poly.2016.02.032
- “Crystal structure of 2-cyano-1-methylpyridinium bromide,” Vu Nguyen*, Cameron A. McCormick*, Robert A. Pascal, Jr., Joel T. Mague , Lynn V. Koplitz, Acta Crystallographica, E71, o854 (2015).
- “Crystal structure of 2-cyano-N-methylpyridinium tetrafluororate,” Francesca A. Vaccaro*, Lynn V. Koplitz, Joel T. Mague, Acta Crystallographica, E71, o697 (2015).
- “3-Cyano-N-methylpyridinium perchlorate,” Cameron A. McCormick*, Vu Nguyen*, Lynn V. Koplitz, Joel T. Mague, Acta Crystallographica, E70, o811 (2014).
- “2-Cyano-1-methylpyridinium nitrate,” Lynn V. Koplitz, Joel T. Mague, Michael N. Kammer*, Cameron A. McCormick*, Heather E. Renfro*, David J. Vumbaco*, Acta Crystallographica, E68, o1653 (2012).
Ph.D., Princeton University, 1986; M.A., Princeton University, 1983; B.S., Muhlenberg College, 1981
Areas of Expertise
- Physical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry