Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Site Navigation Skip to Main Content

Advising Handbook - Advising and Scheduling Pointers


1. Only courses listed under the rubric COMMON CURRICULUM and bearing letters N-Z and numbers 122-499 meet Common Curriculum requirements. Please make sure your advisees can distinguish the difference between an advanced common curriculum and a major course.  This is a common error made by many students and is easily preventable.

2. Avoid scheduling first semester freshmen in Advanced Common Curriculum courses unless you are confident that it is a course designed for students new to the discipline and does not have a foundational course or prerequisite. 

3. Once enrolled at Loyola, a student MAY NOT take courses at another institution to meet Common Curriculum requirements without prior approval of the Dean’s Office.


Major course requirements (30 hours minimum) are established by departments and are listed on the departmental major DPCL.  Any changes for individual students, e.g., waivers or substitutions, must be authorized in writing by the Department Chair to the Dean’s Office.  Programmatic changes must be approved by the Humanities and Natural Sciences College Curriculum Committee and the University Courses and Curriculum Committee.  When advising students, please make sure you are using the DPCL that corresponds to their catalog year (i.e., the year of their admission).  Courses used in the major cannot be used to satisfy other program requirements (minor or second major).


Adjunct credits, for programs in which they are required, are listed on departmental DPCLs.  In some departments, adjunct courses are named or come from a specific range of courses.


The college requires six credits (placement + one) of foreign language (modern or classical) with A201 as the terminal course level.  Students who place at the 300-level or above on the Foreign Language Placement assessment are exempt from the language requirement and will take 3 credits of general electives instead. Students whose high school language of instruction is not English are exempt from the Foreign Language requirement, and the credits will be moved to the student’s general electives.  If you have questions concerning exemption eligibility, please contact the Department of Languages and Cultures (x3844).

Students who transfer to HNS from another college within the university must meet the language requirement. 

All students must take the language placement assessment which is offered online. Students can contact Dr. Alice Kornovich or go to the Ross Foreign Language Center (x3897 or Bobet 114) for more information. 


The number of general elective hours varies from major to major and is indicated on the DPCL. Students may freely choose courses from among the University's offerings for general elective credit. Many students use 18-21 hours of general elective credits for their minor.    

EXCEPTIONS:  A student may NOT take the following courses for credit toward the degree (credit is earned, but does not apply to degree program):

1. ENGL A100 after the successful completion of ENGL T122.

2. Math A092. 

3. Any A100-level language course after a student has successfully completed a A200-level course in the same language, or any A100-level or A200-level language course after he/she has successfully completed a A300-level course in the same language. 

4. Students MAY NOT receive general elective credit for more than 15 credits in MILITARY SCIENCE.

5. No full-time DAY DIVISION student, regardless of age, will be permitted to enroll in INTENSIVE WEEKEND COURSES for credit.  Loyola University New Orleans does not accept intersession transfer credits. 


The total number of credits needed for graduation is listed on departmental DPCLs.  The College of Humanities and Natural Sciences requires a minimum of 120 credits.  Some departments, however, require more.  In individual cases, the total number of credits needed for graduation as listed on the DPCL has been increased in order to compensate for remedial Math, non-applicable transfer courses, or repeated courses. 


Students who wish to major in a program not regularly available in the College of Humanities and Natural Sciences may consult the Associate Dean about the possibility of a Contract Major.  Loyola students interested in pursuing a second Bachelor's Degree at Loyola should also see the Associate Dean.